Monday, November 2, 2009

Kiva. org

Every year I pick a giving theme in December. Last year, I "adopted" endangered animals from around the world in the names of friends and family members. This year, I would like to help entrepreneurs in third world countries by loaning them money through www.kiva.org. Kiva.org is an online organization that helps individuals start businesses in areas of the world where business loans are difficult, or impossible to get. Loans come from all over the world in small amounts. $20 is a reasonable amount to loan and be helpful to someone who needs help in establishing a viable business!

So, I am started to look into businesses to help support. In the month of December, a portion of all of my profits from selling Xmittens fingerless gloves will be used to create this loan (minimum $50). As I narrow down my search, I will post my top three choices. So far, I feel a connection to the Aqlema Group in Afghanistan, a small group of women who run a quilting business and needs new sewing machines. **Aqlema Group became fully funded as I was finishing this post up. Wonderful!

In the meantime, if you have a minute, check out www.kiva.org and feel free to leave a suggestion in the comments below as to who you think I should support.

No comments: