Sunday, March 22, 2009

Featured Artist: Jen from Raeburn Ink

I met Jen from Raeburn Ink at the AltCraft section of the American Craft Council show. She had the table next to me and I fell in love with her "Pillow Rings" (see photo) and her creative use of color. I asked her to the the featured artist for March. Check out what she has to say about her work, textile art and make sure to stop by her shops as well!


1) How would you describe your textile work as it currently is being made?
My current processes are screen printing and patchwork. I create functional objects - pillows, bags, jewelry, tee shirts. My screen printed fabrics use images drawn from various sources - some recent collections are inspired by scientific imagery, office supplies, and my trip to Japan. In general, I'm interested in color, geometry, and abstraction. I try to bring a sense of adventure into my pieces through the use of bright colors, contrasts, and hopefully a sense of humor. My patchwork pieces evolved out of a desire to use every scrap of fabric that I create. I couldn't bring myself to throw away the tiny bits, so I created a whole new collection to work with them.

2) List some of your inspiration for your current work
I have recently been working on my Macro/Micro print collection, looking at similarities between the very large and the very small. It has a heavy geology influence. I've been working with delicate line drawings, which is pretty new for me.

3) Do you incorporate other media or non-textile techniques in your work? how?
The actual pieces I produce use very established techniques - sewing and printing. I do use Photoshop and Illustrator a lot in the development of my imagery. I create sketches and manipulate photos and drawings. I test colorways and ideas, which I can do much faster on the computer than I can otherwise. The computer is an amazing tool for me in the development of my work.
4) What are your thoughts on Art, Craft, AltCraft/Indie Craft as categories or definitions in general and as they pertain to your work?
I'm not crazy about the perceived divisions in the Art/Craft/Design worlds. I feel like there's so much overlap in these genres, and I've always wondered where I fit in - I feel like all of them describe my work to some degree. I am very interested in conceptual art, and that informs my work and aesthetic quite heavily. I choose to make functional objects, which aligns my work with much of the craft world. I really connect with and love the return to the handmade that is a main element of the Indie Craft world. I don't fit in entirely to any of these categories, I'm really somewhere in the middle.

5) Any new creations you are excited about?
I'm starting some new designs that are based on my test prints, I love the unexpected results that happen when images are layered unintentionally. I'm also studying clothing construction and design, and I am planning to work on a new small clothing collection. And some plans to experiment with digitally printed fabrics.
6) Where can people find your work?
The easiest place to find me is online at www.raeburnink.com. I travel a lot to exhibit at various shows, and I list my show schedule online. I also have an etsy shop, of course! Its www.raeburnink.etsy.com

2 comments:

trudette said...

thanks for sharing . I love reading about other artists !

Edie said...

Great blog and thanks for dropping by mine!:)